> Chief Curator
Chinese American Museum
The mission of the Chinese American Museum of Washington DC is to advance the understanding, knowledge, and appreciation of the Chinese American experience by highlighting shared cultural exchanges and stories of the spirit, resilience, and contributions of Chinese Americans throughout our past, present, and future.
The Chinese American Museum is seeking a creative individual to serve as the first Chief Curator of its new museum in Washington, DC. The Chief Curator, working closely with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board, will be responsible for building, presenting, and caring for the Museum’s collections, as well as conceptualizing the exhibitions in support of the museum’s mission, vision and values. This position will provide forward-thinking and dynamic leadership for the curatorial and exhibition programs.
· Research and document potential acquisitions to present to the Executive Director and the Board to build the Museum’s permanent collection
· Develop/Identify temporary exhibitions and permanent collection displays that support the mission of the museum. Participate in exhibition installation
· Research, write, and present information on permanent collections, special exhibitions, and relevant historical and cultural topics for print and online publications
· Identify and engage content experts, producers, and writers to develop exhibit and online content
· Oversee collection management, including documentation, conservation and storage. Provide for care, preservation, and access to collections
· Prepare/maintain written policies, plans, and procedures relating to the collections care and management
· Represent the Museum through media/public interviews as needed
· Build and maintain active relationships with artists, community members, lenders, donors, and professional colleagues
· Work with Executive Director on the development of curatorial/collection care budget and multi-year exhibition calendar
· Manage content for the museum’s website and social media
· Develop strategies and tactics for enhancing the complete visitor-customer experience
· Recommend contractors for exhibition installations and collection care work as needed
· Recruits/Supervises volunteers and interns related to collection and exhibition programs
· Works with Academic Advisory Board and Board of Directors on related academic projects
· Other job-related duties as assigned
· Curatorial vision, passion, and excellence, and the intellectual innovation required to curate compelling exhibitions.
· Master’s degree in Asian Studies, Art History, History, Museum Studies, or related field; Ph.D. or equivalent preferred
· Eight (8) years of progressively responsible work experience in a museum or related educational/research organization as a curator or a closely related position; or an equivalent combination of education/ training, and experience
· Distinguished record of professional accomplishments and publications
· Experienced in exhibition concepts, planning, and implementation
· Highly organized and detail oriented
· Ability to work independently and enjoy working in a team environment
· Computer and administrative skills in areas such as database entry, project management, and budgeting
Office environment, standard hours. Some travel may be required.
The compensation and benefits will be commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance may be available.
Send your CV or resume and cover letter and recent salary history or salary for past two jobs to: firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Chinese American Museum Foundation is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Chinese American Museum in Washington, DC (CAMDC) is a bold undertaking, currently underway, to establish a new, national museum to collect, preserve, exhibit, and lead a meaningful, positive dialogue on the Chinese American experience—its history, culture, and contributions to our country and the world.
The Chinese American Museum will serve as a:
- steward and historian of the Chinese American experience
- cultural center (physically and virtually)
- knowledge leader
- champion for a positive discourse on the Chinese American legacy
- central resource for Chinese American stories and information
With our newly acquired building in the heart of Washington, DC, the museum will serve to positively impact people from all backgrounds, across the country and abroad through relevant collections, exhibits, online experiences, educational programs, and events. In addition to offering a high-quality physical museum destination, we strive to be an interactive museum and content source that extends beyond our physical walls to encourage an ongoing conversation and visitor experience.
History, Mission, and Vision
The Chinese American Museum Foundation, a Washington DC based 501(c)3 non-profit organization, was incorporated under the District of Columbia’s Business Organizations Code on June 6, 2017.
The Chinese American Museum’s mission is to advance the understanding, knowledge and appreciation of the Chinese American experience, by highlighting the history, culture, spirit, resilience, and contributions of Chinese Americans throughout our past, present, and future.
Our vision is to build a community around a continuous dialogue illustrating how Chinese Americans, culture, contributions, and potential are all an important part of the American fabric. We seek to work with organizations, museums, experts, and leadership across the country to tell the Chinese American story on DC’s national stage.